Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Star Light Star Bright

First star I see tonight. . . and what a night it is for stargazing. The cold front has cleared the air and the sky is crystal clear. The night is cold but there is no wind so it wasn’t too uncomfortable to take a few minutes while walking my dogs to turn off the flashlight and gaze up at the heavens. I could see the Seven Sisters clearly, hunted by Orion. The big and little dippers were showing, too, which is unusual because light pollution makes it almost impossible for me to see the little dipper any more. I wish I had a comfortable chair to recline in with a really warm blanket and I would have stayed out in the cold and stargazed for a while.

I remember our whole family lying on blankets in the front yard looking at the stars oh so many years ago. Daddy would point out the different constellations and I would try my best to see the animal or person he was pointing out. Later, as teenagers, my friends and I would while away some time looking at the stars. Someone would tell the tales associated with the constellations and I would dream of the people and places so long ago who made up those stories. Do parents still stargaze with their children, or is that too mundane an activity? Do teenagers still enjoy the stories in the stars? I’m glad that I got to stargaze with my parents and my friends when I was younger. Those are the best of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment