Friday, December 17, 2010

Plug Into Your Creative Process

Exactly what is the “Creative Process” and how do we plug into it?


Much of my work requires that I know how I want the finished product to look or work and then work backwards to achieve that. This works for my jewelry pieces as well as my programming tasks. To me, this is fascinating; working backwards to achieve the goal!

For a program I’m writing I need to know how the user will use the application, with needed input and desired output, then breaking that down into the steps it takes to go from one to the other.

For a jewelry piece I envision how I want the piece to look and then figure out how to put the components together to achieve this.

In either of these endeavors I usually sketch what I want, literally writing down steps of a program, or drawing the finished jewelry piece then figuring out how the wires will work together by drawing the wires as they are bent and woven. Some of my sketches literally look like scribbles because I ‘wrap’ the line I’m drawing on the page around the last one drawn. I imagine that these little sketches wouldn’t make much sense to anyone but me, but even months later I can look at the sketch and see what the wire would be doing in that piece. Often I can see that what is in my head doesn’t work with the wire, so I literally work it out on paper, saving time and effort, not to mention precious silver! Many times one sketch gives me an idea for another piece or a different way to do something, so they help me to come up with new ideas for my jewelry, too.
Sketch of a ring design idea.

These sketches are very important to me and to my creative process. I have sketches for wire wrap ideas going back years, to when I first started making jewelry. These ideas are still useful to me and I do refer to them often, especially when I want to make a piece similar to one I’ve done in the past.

So, for me a large part of the Creative Process involves putting a pencil to paper and actually drawing what I want my jewelry piece to look like. I would recommend that if you get in a rut design-wise try sketching your idea. The sketches don’t have to be frame-worthy, just enough for your ideas to come together in a finished piece.

Sketch and Pendant
Sketch and Pendant

No comments:

Post a Comment